Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I will help you write a novel in 30 days

Can you write a novel in 30 days? Will this be your year to finally finish your first book? Read on and I will tell you what the challenge is and how I will help you to write the book you have always wanted to have.

The National Novel Writing Month Challenge (nanowrimo.org), also known as NaNoWriMo or NaNo begins in 31 days on November 1st. Each year thousands of people set out to attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I want to help you finish your challenge of 50K words and I am going to spend the month of October giving you every tip and trick you will need.

I will cover everything from plotting, outlining, creating characters, research, speeding up your word count, and how to prepare all of those things no one talks about like organizing your desk and telling your family what you will be doing. Most of all I will give you advice on how to carve out the time you will need to complete your project.

I make this invitation to my blog and the promise to you that you will succeed because I have done it myself. I could say that finishing NaNo last year was a difficult, but that wouldn't be telling you the whole truth. I would love to say I have never failed to reach 50K during a NaNo year, but I have not one but two different novels that never made it beyond 30K words. But still I know that I finished more than 86K words in November of 2013 and I am ready to do it again, are you ready to join me in our crusade of words? Can you finish the novel you have always wanted to write? Let's get started.

The first thing that anybody needs to do to have their best chance at succeeding is to plan ahead and spend some quality preparing to write your novel. I am sure there are many of you are saying to yourselves, "I don't do that," or "I don't need to," or "That will make my novel too boring or planned out." If any like those statements came to mind, then you are what is commonly referred to as a "panster" (somebody who writes by the seat of their pants). None of that means you cannot spend time working on your novel before the mad dash on November 1st, I am going to challenge you to change your ways and ultimately succeed.

Here is your first challenge and your first writing assignment. And those of you who cringed when I said plan or outline, hang in there, this assignment doesn't really count as either. I want you to take the next day or week if need be and come up with a sentence that is the "Simple Synopsis" of your book. I can tell you from personal experience and countless hours of  the headaches shared by other authors, that if you cannot put together a single sentence, your book simply isn't ready to be written. Here is my example of my rough "Simple Synopsis." Please note that it doesn't mean you can't change it once or fifty times before NaNo, it is simply you getting started with the first step forward.

Cora must steal a trip into the past to save a genius' life, fulfill a promise to her missing mother, and to change the outcome in a secret war that has been waged against history itself since long before she was born, can Cora face her past and change the course of history or will she be forgotten in the echoes forever?

Please post what you come up with, I look forward to seeing it.

And remember to keep grinding your words.






No comments:

Post a Comment